Now that Christmas and New Year are over, we are into the long, cold month of January, which is difficult for many people, especially those on limited incomes, living in food insecurity – that is, not knowing where their next meal will come from. Whitehead Foodstore has already had 8 new referrals this month from families finding it hard to feed themselves and their children.
Donations of non-perishable food are very welcome and desperately needed so that we are able to provide a 3 day emergency supply of food for those who have none at all.
The graphic gives EXAMPLES of food that could be donated if you are able.
Basically, any non-perishable, nutrient-dense food stuff EXCEPT pasta and tea both of which we have available at present.
Donations could include:
- tinned potatoes
- tinned vegetables
- tinned meats, ham, chicken, corned beef, etc
- tinned fish, such as tinned salmon, tuna, sardines, etc
- soups, including tins and powdered soups, eg cream of chicken, tomato soup, cup a soup, etc.
- peanut butter
- desserts, eg, rice, custard and biscuits.
- cereals, including porridge, ready brek, cornflakes, variety packs
- long life milk or dried milk powder
- cooking oil, salt and condiments, like pepper or vinegar
Basically, what would YOU want to eat? Can you donate some of that?
If you cannot donate food, can you donate a little money?
Thank you for reading.